Sunday, October 7, 2007

Mason-Dixon Knitting and Me

At work it always seems as though someone is pregnant or getting married. Maybe that happens to everyone who works at a school. Last school year, we had approximately 4 babies and 7 weddings. I don't think I'm exaggerating too much. With all these births and marriages I felt (no pun intended) the need to knit some gifts. You know how knitting is though. Weddings and births may pass and you may still be knitting away on those gifts. I am determined that this will not be the case this year! But it seems to have already happened. One of the births was 3 weeks ago to twins and I have knit only 1 pair of baby bootees. My only saving grace is that they are premies and the bootees probably won't fit for a little bit. So, I might be safe.

The next two births are in 4 weeks and 8 weeks. The first shower is this Friday so I have to have something for the shower. To my local library I go to get the book Mason-Dixon Knitting. Thank God for this book! The knits are so quick and EASY that I can get some gifts together for Friday and for the shower that follows. Right now, I'm working on the One-Piece Baby Kimono. The best part of the kimono is that it's all in garter stitch!!!! I know some people like to purl but purling slows me down. When you're knitting gifts for people there is no time to slow down and purl! I am also trying the Ballband Dishcloths. Michael's was having a sale on their Sugar 'n Cream yarn ($1/ ball) so I bought a good sized stash. I plan on making some burp cloths, bibs, dishcloths, and bootees. Hopefully, I'll get it all finished. We shall see.




Thank you Kay Gardiner and Ann Shayne for Mason-Dixon Knitting!!! I can't wait for the new book!!

I was asked last week to knit someone at work a scarf. A co-worker asked me how much it would cost to make her a scarf. I'm sure you've had this same experience. Little did she know that I really hate making scarves. I actually would rather not knit someone anything unless I decide to knit it for them. I know that sounds selfish but if I'm not into it I won't knit it. I did answer her with, "You buy the yarn. I'll charge you $.10 per yard of yarn I use." She thought I meant how long the scarf would be (about 4-5 feet). I corrected her. She hasn't asked me again so I hope that this was the end of it.

Back to Ravelry, knitting, and audiobooks.




1 comment:

Jenn said...

I have a friend who once asked me to knit her a tree skirt for her Christmas tree and then asked me to knit socks for her dogs to protect their feet in the winter. I finally said that I would teach her to knit so that SHE could knit socks for her dogs. Yeah, I never heard anything about it again.