Friday, July 20, 2007

Socks!


07202007584
Originally uploaded by hedgie97.

Finally!! I feel a sense of accomplishment with my knitting. I've been trying to unravel the mystery of the sock for about a year now. My first "sock" was more of a tube. It didn't fit very well. I think I knitted it on size 5 DPNs. I used a Lion Brand sock yarn. I didn't really understand gauge either. They kind of fit but were loose and slipped off all the time.

As I became more involved in knitting, I began reading more (more than the Internet). I learned how to knit on 2 circular needles thanks to Cat Bordhi's book- Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles. I LOVE this method since it makes sense!! I was finally able to understand sock construction using two circular needles.


After I read Cat's book (and LOVED it- have I said that yet?) I bought the book Sensational Knitted Socks


I was a bit hesitant about the book since I knit my "tube" sock from a sock instructional book and everything else didn't make sense. I bought it though. It was wonderful!! I understood what I was doing. I bought some new sock yarn from the LYS (The Woolie Ewe). I believe it's by Opal and a cotton yarn. I loved the striping.

Anyway, lots of rambling and these are the results. I can't recommend Sensational Knitted Socks enough. Even if you aren't a fan of the 2 circ method there are charts to use for 4 DPns and 5 DPNs. Try it!

Now I'm addicted to socks and have ordered about 8 more skeins of various sock yarn and have spent way more than I needed to spend.

Family, if you are reading this just know you may be getting a pair of socks for Christmas!

2 comments:

AmyArtisan said...

I completely agree about socks on 2 circs - that's how they finally clicked for me this winter. :) I've been wanting to check out that book - when I was in Barnes & Noble on Saturday another lady picked it up (only copy) just as I was getting to the knit section. ;)

Macoco said...

I have to second that recommendation for sensational knitted socks. It's the book that helped me overcome my fear of socks! Your socks turned out fabulously!